عنوان مقاله [English]
The purpose of this article is to investigate the welfare status of households in northern Khorasan province and compare it with the average welfare of households in the whole country of Iran. Regarding the number of support organizations in Iran such as subsidies targeting organization, welfare organization, social security organization, Imam Khomeini Relief Committee and etc. To implement supportive policies to improve the welfare of households, there is a need for a quantitative index to be able to use that as benchmark applied to supportive policies. In this article, using household income and expenditure data of the Statistics Center of Iran during the period of 2005-2014, the household welfare status has been analyzed using Engel welfare Index. With regarding to the impact of some demographic variables of households, the Engel curve is estimated. The level of well-being of all households in Iran has decreased over the period. Also the level of welfare of households in the northern Khorasan province was lower than the whole country during the period under consideration. In general, rural households have a lower level of welfare than urban households. Therefore, according to the results of this study, governments and supportive organizations should consider the variables that affect the welfare state of households such as total expenditure households, household size, and other important demographic variables.
- Blackorby, C. & Donaldson, D. (1993). Adult-equivalence scales and the economic implementation of interpersonal comparisons of well-being. Social choice and welfare, 10, 335-361.
- Deaton, A. (1997). The analysis of household surveys: a microeconometric approach to development policy. Published for the world bank, the johns Hopkins university Press, Baltimore and London.
- Deaton, A & Muellbauer, J. (1986). On measuring child cost:with
application to poor countries. Journal of political Economy, .
- Donaldson, D. & Pendakur, K. (2004). Equivalent-expenditure functions and expenditure dependent equivalence scale. Journal of public economics, 88, 175-208.
- Engel, E. (1857). Die Productions- und Consumptionsverhaeltnisse des Koenigsreichs Sachsen. Zeitschrift des Statistischen Bureaus des Koniglich Sachsischen Ministeriums des Inneren, No. 8-9. Reprinted in the Appendix of Engel (1895).
- Jorgenson, D. & Slesnick, D. (1987). Aggregate consumer behaviour and household equivalence scales. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 5(2), 219-232.
- Khalaji,A., Raghfar, H. & Mohamadi, T. (2007). Household Equivalennce Scale Patterns and Calculations in Iran. Journal of Social Welfare, 6(24), 191-223 (In Persian)
- Kuznets, S. (1979). Growth, Population, and Income Distribution. New York: W. W. Norton & Co.
- Leser, C. E. V. (1963). Forms of Engel Functions. Econometrica, 31, 694-703.
- Lewbel, A & Pendakur, K. (2006). Equivalence Scales. Entry for the new palgrave dictionary of economics, 2nd edition.
- Lewbel, A. (1989). Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons. Journal of public economics, 39, 377-391.
- Majumder, A., & Chakrabarty, M. (2008). Estimating Equivalence Scales Through Engel Curve Analysis. Discussion Paper ERU/2008 - 05.
- Molana, H. & Rahimi, A. (2014). Estimates of household Engel-curve-based equivalence scales for Iran. Journal of Money and Economy, 9(3), 1-31.
- Paris,S.J. & Houthakker, H.S. (1995). The analysis of family budgets. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Pendakur, K. & Lewbel, A. (2010). Children’s Resources in Collective Households: Identification, Estimation and an Application to Child Poverty in Malawi. Boston Collage.
- Phipps, S. A., & Garner, T. (1994). Are Equivalence Scales the Same for the United States and Canada? The Review of Income and Wealth, 40(1), 1-17.
- Rahimi, A. (2015). Household welfare in Iran: on approach for behavior economics. Da Printing Institute, Iran.
- Rahimi, A. & Molana, H. (2013). Relative Cost of Child for Iranian Household: Estimates of Child Equivalence Scales for Iran. Quarterly Juranl Economics & Modelling, 5(19-20), 13-34.
- Xhafaj, E. & Nurja, I. (2014). Determination Of The Key Factors That Influence Poverty Through Econometric Models. European Scientific Journal, 10(24), 65-72.
- http://www.amar.org.ir/ Expenditure-and-Incom